Using Canvas and other external collaboration tools
Learn how to build your own course in Canvas by using the Modules page to organize and build your course content. Using Modules is the easiest and most logical way to build your Canvas course. If your school or district has signed up to use Canvas, or if you've decided to use the Canvas Free for Teachers account to create your courses, this video covers what you need to know to get started!
This Canvas LMS tutorial shows you how to lock and unlock modules so that your students only see your Canvas content that you want them to see, and when you want them to see it. You can make it so that modules automatically unlock when certain conditions are met.
Learn the ins and outs of Canvas quizzes, including how to use question banks to save yourself lots of time.
Learn how to use the H5P website to easily create interactive activities that can be embedded into an online course or onto a blog or website. H5P can also help you take something you've found or created on another website, "import" it into H5P, and then embed it into your course or website. Both of those capabilities should prove to be pretty helpful for teachers who have an online presence of any kind for their classes.
Getting Started with Canvas as an Instructor
This page will provide you with some essential resources so you can create an account, familiarize yourself with Canvas, create a new course, and add content to that course.
For a visual representation of how to get started with Canvas as an instructor, view the Getting Started with Canvas as an Instructor Flowchart PDF.
To watch a short video series on setting up a new Canvas course, view Set up your Canvas course in 30 minutes or less.
The Canvas Instructor Guide has over 600 lessons that each answer a question that relates to using the Canvas interface as an instructor. Included below is a selection of lessons that will introduce you to the basics of Canvas usage. Each lesson also includes Next and Previous links so you can easily navigate to related content.
Before you can do anything in Canvas, you'll need an account and the URL for your institution's Canvas website. View the lessons below for help with setting up your account, logging in, and managing your user settings.
- How do I sign up for a Canvas account as an instructor?
- How do I log in to Canvas as an instructor?
- How do I change the settings in my user account as an instructor?
Once your account is set up, take a minute to familiarize yourself with the Canvas user interface. The lessons below will show you how to navigate Canvas and use a few of the tools that link across all your courses.
- How do I get help with Canvas as an instructor?
- How do I use the Global Navigation Menu as an instructor?
- How do I use the Inbox as an instructor?
- How do I use the Calendar as an instructor?
Canvas provides several tools that allow you to create a course and add content for your students. View the lessons below for information on setting up your Canvas course.
- How do I use the Course Setup Checklist?
- How do I use the Canvas course setup tutorial as an instructor?
- How do I add a section to a course as an instructor?
- How do I publish a course?
- How do I set details for a course?
- How do I use course settings?
Each course includes various features where you can share course content, hold discussions, assign coursework, grade student submissions, and much more. View the lessons below for some of the basics of Canvas courses.
- How do I use the Dashboard as an instructor?
- How do I create an assignment?
- How do I assign an assignment to everyone in a course?
- How do I use the Course Home Page as an instructor?
- How do I use the Course Navigation Menu as an instructor?
- How do I use the Syllabus as an instructor?
- How do I create a discussion as an instructor?
- How do I use Files as an instructor?
- How do I use the Gradebook?
- How do I add a module?
- How do I create a new page in a course?
- How do I add users to a course?
- How do I edit user roles in a course?
- How do I create a quiz with individual questions? (Classic Quizzes)
- How do I create an assessment using New Quizzes?
- How do I add and modify text in the Rich Content Editor as an instructor?
- How do I add and modify text in the New Rich Content Editor as an instructor?
- How do I get to SpeedGrader from an assignment, quiz, or graded discussion?
- How do I use SpeedGrader?
Canvas Teacher App
Canvas also has a free mobile app available for iOS and Android that is specifically tailored to instructors. View information about the Teacher app below.
- How do I download the Teacher app on my iOS device?
- How do I log in to the Teacher app on my iOS device?
- How do I use the Teacher app on my iOS device?
- How do I download the Teacher app on my Android device?
- How do I log in to the Teacher app on my Android device?
- How do I use the Teacher app on my Android device?
Canvas is built to support online education, allowing teachers to connect with their students to promote learning anytime, anywhere. In the face of recent urgency, educators can leverage Canvas with easy-to-use, effective, and customizable solutions to support students remotely. To help you prepare, we’ve curated a list of recommendations and resources to get the most from Canvas during this time.
Flowchart to help instructors get started in Canvas