Knowing Signals Campaign
Neighborhood Medical Center, the Foundation for Leon County Schools and Leon County Schools have parterned to produced two exceptional public service announcements designed to engage our studentss and parents on the subject of mental health assistance. We invite the community to learn how to listen out for the signals that are being sent everyday. Together we can work to end the stigma and help provide a pathway towards resources.
The commercials feature Leon County School's students.
Mental and Behavioral Health Support Services
The School District of Leon County keeps the safety of students at the forefront by providing behavioral and emotional supports for students and families to ensure success.
Our mental health initiatives consist of a continuum of supports for student mental health wellness within the Multi-tiered Systems of Support (MTSS) model. School-based mental health service providers, teachers, support staff, parents and community-based mental health professionals collaborate to develop plans and identify strategies and interventions to support student needs.
In addition, school and district staff participate in ongoing training in youth mental health to recognize, understand, and provide initial support to students who are in distress or who may be developing a mental health or substance use disorder and help connect them to the appropriate care.
Social Emotional Learning
What is Social Emotional Learning?
Social and emotional learning (SEL) is the process through which individuals learn and manage emotions, set goals, show empathy, establish positive relation and make responsible decisions. Extensive research links the development of social, emotional, behavioral, and character skills to academic achievement, positive behavior, rewarding relationships, and good citizenship.
School Initiatives and Resources:
- Sanford Harmony Social and Emotional Learning (SEL): https://www.sanfordharmony.org/
- Positive Behavior Interventions and Support: https://flpbis.cbcs.usf.edu/, https://www.pbis.org/
- Character Education: https://www2.ed.gov/teachers/how/character/edpicks.jhtml?src=ln, https://www.edutopia.org/topic/character-education
- Restorative Justice: restorativejustice.org, https://www.edutopia.org/blog/restorative-justice-resources-matt-davis
- Conscious Discipline: https://consciousdiscipline.com/
- Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning (CASEL): https://casel.org/
- Commitment for Children: https://www.cfchildren.org/
- Edutopia: https://www.edutopia.org/social-emotional-learning