Building resiliency for Florida’s students and families is a top priority of the Florida Department of Education (FDOE).
Required Instruction – Rule 6A-1.094124
• The State Board of Education (SBOE) adopted rule on July 17, 2019, to add an annual 5 hour mental health instruction requirement for students in grades 6-12.
• The SBOE amended rule on October 20, 2022, to shift the focus of the 5 hours of required instruction to an empowering new model based on resiliency.
• On March 22, 2023, the SBOE adopted revised standards aligned to the new resiliency approach that included benchmarks related to:
• Mentorship and Citizenship
• Critical Thinking and Problem Solving
This toolkit was assembled by the Florida Department of Education to assist teachers in the development of more resilient and healthy students. Teachers utilizing the instructional resources included in this toolkit will empower Florida’s students as they develop resilience and character education skills to adapt to a variety of situations. These lessons can also assist with instruction in health education topics included in required instruction.