Purpose:The goal of the Montford SciGirls Club is to familiarize girls with Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Math (STEAM) disciplines and to inspire them in exploring science related careers and activities. Speakers will be brought in from the local community to provide hands-on activities which will encourage girls to explore science in the world around them and to develop a positive attitude toward STEAM.When:Club meetings take place before school from 8:15am to 9:15am on the second and fourth Wednesdays of each month. There will also be opportunities to participate in two field trips, one each semester.
We will be hosting the Fall STEM night on November 14th from 5:30-7pm, and we may need to get together on other mornings to finishing prepping.Requirements to be a SciGirl:
- Must have all 3's or 4's in Citizenship
- Must be able to arrive at school by 8:10am on club meeting days and stay for the full hour. We know there are a lot of before-school clubs and other activities. If you want to be a Montford SciGirl, you need to plan to attend all meetings.
- Must be a 6th, 7th, or 8th grade girl who wants to learn more about STEAM.
- Students must submit an application. Membership is limited to 27 students.
- There is a $5 activity fee that will be used for the girls during club meetings. Any leftover fees will go towards end-of-the-year activities or be carried over to the next year.
- A SciGirls T-shirt is required to attend the field trips or other off campus club activities. We will be designing new shirts during the first few meetings so a T-shirt will be required to be purchased.
What We're Doing in SciGirlsUp coming meeting dates:The SciGirls interest meeting will be held on August 21st, 2019 in Mrs. Emerson's room at 8:45am. Applications may be picked up at this time.Wednesdays
September 11th at 8:15 am- STEM Activity
September 25th at 8:15 am -Event Plannign
October 9th at 8:15 am -Planning STEM activities for Science Night & Ad team
October 23rd at 8:15 am -Testing STEM activities
November 6th at 8:15am - Advertising/Promotions work
November 13th at 8:15 am -Finalizing STEM night activities
School wide STEM Night November 14th 5:30-7pm
No meeting on November 27th
December 11th at 8:15am -Holiday/Coding