Accelerated Reader for Beginners
Accelerated Reader is a computer-based program that helps to track student comprehension, progress toward set goals, and overall progress in reading over the coarse of the school year.
*At this time, all students are reading books that are considered “AR books”, but they must qualify to be able to test on books.
Qualifications to test on AR books.
- Independent Worker
- 1.3 Score on the STAR Test
- Knows all Kindergarten Sight Words
What does it look like for the students when they begin?
- Students choose and read books within assigned reading range.
- Students must read the book at least 3 times and be able to tell the characters, main events, and important details.
- When ready, the student logs into the AR program to complete a 3, 5, or 10 question test about the content of the book.
- Students can earn points toward goal (based on performance). Most primary books are .5 points each at 100%. Students are expected to maintain a comprehension average of 85% or higher each nine weeks.
- Reading logs will not have to be kept when students begin AR.