Welcome to Leon Guidance!
FLDOE Executive Order 2021-EO-02 dated 4/9/21
Updates regarding Bright Futures Scholarship students expected to graduate in the spring of 2021.
FLDOE recently released an Executive Order regarding Bright Futures. This order includes changes to service hour acceptance and submission as well as a deadline change to earn a qualifying test score for students expected to graduate in the spring of 2021.
- The Deadline to earn a qualifying test score (on SAT or ACT for Florida Academic and Medallion awards or PERT for Gold Seal awards) has been extended from June 31st to December 1, 2021. Sections of the SAT or ACT from different test dates may continue to be used to meet the test criteria through December 1, 2021, but test types cannot be mixed.
- Completion of required service hours may include:
- Completed service hours
- Service hours that were planned/intended but were unable to be completed because the pandemic created a lack of access to volunteer opportunities
- Health concerns prohibited the student from complete service hours
All hours must be submitted by graduation. The student must include a description of the volunteer services and total of hours they had planned to complete by graduation. This must be documented on the Leon County Schools Volunteer Service hour forms and signed by a parent to verify. An email from a parent will suffice for a signature. Forms must be submitted to the student’s high school.
Earning a Bright Futures award requires minimum GPA, specific curriculum, test score (SAT/ACT or PERT for Gold Seal), specific minimum number of service hours and application. The recent Executive Order did not make changes in qualifying scores or GPA. For more information on how to qualify and apply, please view the Bright Futures home page: https://www.floridastudentfinancialaidsg.org/SAPBFMAIN/SAPBFMAIN
CANVAS Directions for Parents
- Ask your student to log into Canvas.
- Once in, look at the vertical navigation bar on the left side of the screen and click on "Account" at the top.
- Click on "Settings" from the pop out menu.
- Once in Settings, there will be a button that says "Pair with an observer" on the right;
- Click on it and copy the code.
- Open a new tab and go to https://leonschools.instructure.com/login/canvas, then select the very tiny link for "Parent of a Canvas User? Click Here For an Account" in the upper right-hand corner.
- Fill in your name, email, and password and then paste the code you received from Canvas into the last textbox.
- You're done! Once you have the computer account set up, you can add the Canvas Parent app to your phone in no time. This will enable you to see your child's agendas in all classes ("Calendar" link) and ensure all work is completed/submitted ("Grades" tab) on the fly. Be advised that Focus is the place to see your child's official grades, but Canvas is the best way to see "why."
All our best,
Leon High School counselors are available to help every student at LHS succeed. We work with students, parents, and teachers by facilitating conferences, helping to plan schedules, giving curriculum and scholarship guidance, and addressing personal and social needs. We are available to help!
Financial Aid Information for College
TCC Preview Day Virtual Event Recording
The Tallahassee Future Leaders Academy (TFLA) Summer Employment Opportunity!
Youth Leadership Tallahassee 2022
Lively’s Summer Phlebotomy Program
TCC Preview Day for Seniors!
Eagles Rise Academy
Mental Health Resources
Leon Guidance Open House Video
Mental Wellness Powerpoint
Competitive Scholarship Application