• Page 7

    Field Trips

    The purpose of a field trip is to support and extend the curriculum as well as reinforce the Florida Standards.

    • Field trips are to be presented at the Master Calendar meeting held prior to each school year. 
    • Grade levels are to send out a list of field trips, costs, and requirements for students to attend during the first week of school.  A copy of this document should be given to the front office.
    • Complete Field Trip Checklist.
    • Fill out Field Trip Request Form and give to bookkeeper for signatures within the designated time period (field trips must be submitted to the district for approval four weeks prior to the date of the field trip).
    • All money collected must be receipted correctly and turned in to the bookkeeper DAILY.
    • There must be one adult (teacher or parent chaperone) per ten (10) students for supervision.
    • All students in your class are to attend the field trip unless you have discussed specifics with an administrator.  If a student is to remain at school, you must make arrangements for that student and notify the office.  In addition, parents must be made aware of what the students’ attendance on the field trip is contingent upon.
    • Students may not ride in privately owned cars to or from field trip.
    • Secure first aid kit and medication for students from the school nurse. Staff members that are responsible for medication must have the Medication Administration Training.
    • Copies of all field trip documents must be turned into the office within 2 days of the trip. 

    Grading Policies

    The grading policy at ORES will be consistent with School Board Policy, school philosophy and report card requirements.  Criteria for grading should be presented to parents and students no later than the Open House held during the first nine-week period.  The criteria should be in writing and sent home for parents who are not present at the Open House. Teachers should keep up to date records on Pinpoint on each student so that all grades earned by students can be justified to administrators, parents and students.  Grade books or copies of electronic grade books should be submitted at the end of the year to administration.

    Notes to remember:

    *All homework assigned should be checked and reviewed.

    *Grades students earn on the report card should be reflective of the mastery of Florida Standards.

    *80% of student’s grades should be reflective of assessments; the remaining 20% is based on classwork or homework.

    Below is a link to the K-5 promotion requirements.


    1. Grades must be kept up to date. Grades earned for the week must be entered by Friday of that week.

    2. Categories to use:

    A.) Assessments (under assessments you may use tests/quizzes)

    B.) Class work

    C.) Does Not Count (aka Performance)

    3. Communication is key regarding zeros. Be careful about "giving" zeros. All attempts must be made to collect the assignment before giving the student a zero. This also includes effectively communicating with the parents about the missing assignment.

    4.  Weights can only be changed at the start of a school year with administrator approval. 

    5. Grade overrides are made only by administration and are used only in extraordinary situations.  Teachers are responsible for completing a grade override request and submitting it to administration.

    6. Once you have finalized grades, do not go back and "unfinalize" to make edits.

    7.  If a student is earning a D or F for the nine weeks, parents must be notified on the progress alert that there is a possibility of his/her child earning a D/F.  Parents need to be notified if there is a possibility that there child is earning a D or F so that they are given the opportunity to support the child academically.