Click Here to Open the Leon County Schools Read At Home Plan
In and effort to strengthen the partnership between school and home, we have prepared a Read-at-Home Plan to support early literacy. This plan will provide you with activities and a list of online resources you can use with your child.
Additionally, each of the recommended activities includes choices that support multisensory strategies. Multisensory strategies stimulate learning and engage children. These strategies use the five senses to help with learning: listening, speaking, touching, smelling, and tasting. When we use more than one sense at a time, we increase the engagement of children. Multisensory strategies provide more ways for children to understand new information.
We are dedicated to walking alongside our families as we strive together to develop lifelong learners and lovers of reading.
Below are links to Parent and Student Resources.
1. Multisensory Activities to Teaching Reading - This link provides a downloadable document for parents explaining what multisensory strategies are, how they are useful, and activity ideas for each method of learning.
2. Multisensory Techniques for Teaching Reading - This link provides parents with multisensory techniques for teaching reading.
3. Multisensoring Parenting Tips - This link provides multisensory parenting tips for parents and guardians.
4. Reading Tips for Parents (in Multipule Languages) - This link provides access to a downloadable document of reading tips for parents and guardians. (Available in 11 languages).
5. Reading Adventure Packs - Reading Adventure Packs encourage hands-on fun and learning, centered around paired fiction and non-fiction books.
6. Reading Tips for Parents of Children with Disabilities - This link provides access to reading tips for parents and guardians of children with disabilities. (Speech and Language, ADHD, Autism Spectrum Disorder, Hearing Loss or Deafness, Low Vision or Blindness, Intellectual Disabilities, and Cerebral Palsy).
7. 25 Activities for Reading and Writing Fun - This link provides parents and guardians enjoyable activities that support reading and writing at home.
Student Literacy Resources
1. ABCya - Educational games to support elementary literacy.
2. E-Learning for Kids - Educational games to support elementary literacy.
3. Flash Card Maker - Create and print flashcards for sight words, vocabulary words, etc.
4. International Children's Digital Library - A digital library that host high-quality books in more than 50 languages.
5. NewsELA - Access to content and activities to support elementary literacy.
6. PBS Kids - Educational games to support elementary literacy.
7. ReadWorks - Access to content to support elementary literacy.
8. Spelling City - Educational games to support literacy in the areas of spelling and vocabulary.
9. Starfall - Educational games to support literacy in phonics.
10. Story Place - A digital library for children. Library materials include free online books, online activities, take-home activities, and reading list for preschool and elementary students.