Hello Parents, Community Partners, and Friends of Hartsfield!
We are excited and looking forward to the 2019-2020 school year! We hope that you have taken time to enjoy the reprieve that summer has to offer and are excited to start the new school year that begins on Monday, August 12, 2019. For those families new to Hartsfield – we say “Welcome Aboard!” We are a school that establishes a culture of care through connection and kindness. We promote the principles and practices of Conscious Discipline to increase the social emotional learning of all students and maximize learning in a safe environment. As parents and partners we value your time, effort, positive energy and support as we partner together to prepare our Hawks to soar in excellence for the upcoming school year!
I continue to be honored to serve as the principal of Hartsfield and consider it a privilege to work alongside a community whose hands continue to give and whose hearts continue to show and share love towards Hartsfield!
We are celebrating with pride the improvement of our school grade to a ‘C’ and last year’s theme of ‘Reaching Our Goals With Heart and Soul’ helped us to get there. This year, the theme continues as we are leveling up and taking our instructional focus, collaboration, partnership, and drive to the next level! Thus, Reaching Our Goals With Heart and Soul 2.0’ is the next edition on a continued mission! And the only way we can get there is with all of us being ALL IN!
Parent Call – We Need You!
This year we are on a trajectory like no other and there are multiple pathways and places that we need our parents to be engaged and involved. I want to challenge each of you as parents and community partners to take the:
“I Promise Hartsfield Pledge…”
And that is to make a commitment to take on TWO ACTS of involvement this year to benefit Hartsfield Elementary School.
- Become a member and volunteer time with the PTO (membership has it’s privilege J)
- Join the School Advisory Council
- Become a Room Parent in your child’s classroom
- Give a donation to our Parent And Family Resource Room redesign
- Assist in the mornings on our Playgrounds
- Become active and help sponsor our Kids Maker Space and Robotics initiatives
- Support our Garden Club, Chorus, and Art Club
- Join the team as we become an ECO Smart School
- Chaperone classroom or on field trips
We need our parent and partner energy to match or exceed the energy that we expend on teaching and learning in the classroom daily! If we had this, imagine where we could be and ‘Oh the Places We will Go’ (Dr. Seuss)! And this is done from the heart, to the end that your child sees you involved in their school, your school benefits from parent hours of support, and the return on investment that happens as a result of your engagement is a gift that keeps on giving. Last year we recorded over 2500 hours of volunteer time! Let’s do it again – Hartsfield Elementary needs you! More information and opportunities to commit will be provided at the Back to School Orientation in August.
Dates to Remember
Please mark your calendars for the following Opening School Activities for the 2019-2020 school year:
- August 8th 2:00 PM - Back to School Orientation and Bash
- August 12th 2019-2020 School Year Begins – School Starts @ 8:15AM
- September 5th 5:30 PM – Fall Open House
Get Connected to HES
We want you connected to Hartsfield and there are several important ways to do this:
- FOCUS – our new web-based integrated student information management system will take the place of the old Parent Portal and other student information systems. Be sure to look for information on how to access and set up your account once school begins.
- Facebook and Instagram – help to keep you aware of the events and activities that happen at Hartsfield. Like us and share us!
- Official School Website communication provides up to date information on the school and school events,
- ListServe and Remind – applications that bring school information to your email or digital device.
- Hawk Talk – monthly newsletters sent home with students on school information and upcoming activities and events at Hartsfield.
FSA Score Reports
Finally, the 2019 FSA Score Reports are available in your FOCUS account. Click on view your child’s Score Report and print a copy for your records.
We trust that you will enjoy the remaining summer days and we look to see you at the 2019 Orientation and Bash on August 8th, 2019 @ 2:00 PM!
Dr. R.M. Blackwell-Flanagan
Hartsfield Elementary School