Dear Hartsfield Families!
Welcome Back To School!
We are so very excited and looking forward to returning to the 2022-2023 school year! We hope that you have taken time to enjoy the reprieve that summer has to offer and are excited to start the new school year that begins on Wednesday August 10, 2022.
For those families new to Hartsfield – we welcome you to an exciting experience! We are a school family that establishes a culture of care through connection and collaboration. We promote the principles and practices of Conscious Discipline to increase the social emotional intelligence of all students and maximize learning in a safe environment. As parents and partners in the educational process, we value your time, effort, positive energy and support as we work together to prepare our Hawks to soar in excellence for the upcoming school year! I continue to be honored to serve as the principal of Hartsfield and consider it a privilege to work alongside a community with hands that give and hearts that serve!
We are a school on the move, and we have so many exciting things happening! We are adding a fresh new name to Hartsfield’s history: Hartsfield Magnet School for International Studies which parallels our trajectory for authorization as an International Baccalaureate (IB) school in the Spring of 2023. The IB curriculum provides a framework for learning where students are explorers and will develop attributes that allow them to thrive in a global society. Hartsfield is where you will “Discover the Difference” in the education experience we facilitate for your child.
Each year brings positive change which include a family of new administration, faculty and staff. Be sure to come out for the Orientation on August 5th to meet them! Additionally, we will dive into a new ELA textbook My View: Saavas, and expose our 4th and 5th graders to Industry Certification and Digital Tools coursework through the Special Area electives; and that is only to name a few ways of how we are building forward at Hartsfield.
Plans are underway to begin the buildout for our new cafeteria. More information to come and we will prepare a presentation to share the plans as soon as the architects release them.
Parent Call – We Need You!
We are always looking for more parents to join the efforts of our School Advisory Council (SAC), PTO and other organizations that support the great work that we do inside and outside the classrooms at Hartsfield. Please contact PTO President: Jessica Comas, or if you are interested in being a member of the School Advisory Council, send me an email (firstname.lastname@example.org). We are excited to work alongside you!
Get Connected to HES
It is important that you stay connected to Hartsfield. Our major lifeline of communication is the Parent ListServ. We have important announcements that go out and our major way of communication is through our ListServe. If you have not done so already, PLEASE SIGN UP TODAY. In addition, there are other avenues of communication that we publish information on throughout the school year.
- ListServe and Remind – applications that bring school information to your email or digital device.
- Peach Jar - Leon County Schools uses an electronic flyer communication and delivery tool called “Peachjar”. This “green” initiative saves our schools tons of paper. You will receive electronic flyers from the school and no action is required on your part, provided we have an updated email. You do not need to login to receive or view school information.
- FOCUS – our web-based integrated student information management system. Information on how to set up your account can be found on our website.
- School Website communication provides up to date information on the school and school events, ets. https://www.leonschools.net/hartsfield
- Facebook and Instagram – help to keep you aware of the events and activities that happen at Hartsfield. Like us and share us!
- Hawk Talk – monthly newsletters sent home with students on school information and upcoming activities and events at Hartsfield.
Dates to Remember
Please mark your calendars for the following Opening School Activities for the 2022-2023 school year:
- August 5th – Back to School Orientation @ 11:00 AM
- September 1st – Elementary Open House @ 5:30 PM
We trust that you will enjoy the remaining days of summer and I eagerly look forward to greeting students and families again. It remains an honor and privilege to serve as your principal and I know that together we will Discover the Difference at Hartsfield Magnet School for International Studies and that difference will be amazing!
I look forward to partnering with you and value your support and engagement in the great things we do at Hartsfield Elementary!
Dr. R.M. Blackwell-Flanagan
Hartsfield Elementary School