American Government is a required course to graduate from any high school in the State of Florida. It is a ½ credit course so students only have it for ½ the year. Students will be taught the basic foundation for the American system of government, the structure and role of the federal government, the structure and role of state & local governments and how the political process works. Each student is assigned a textbook in order to assist in “getting through” the large amount of material in 90 days. Students also work on their writing and thinking skills with a weekly current event activity.
Earn points by attending a government meeting.
You earn the points by;
- Maximum of three visits can be made - 15 points each
- Each visit must be to a different entity.
- You can only use the City, County & School Board.
- Turning in the documentation the day after attending the meeting.
- Turning in ONLY a single sheet of paper with NO attachments.
- Having a signature of a government official on the paper.
- Make sure if the signature is not readable that you print the name.
- Make sure if the person is not a member of the board to identify their position.
- Summarize what happened at the meeting.
- Give your opinion of HOW the meeting went.
- Include a comparison to the other visits on your 2nd and 3rd visit.