American Government is a required course to graduate from any high school in the State of Florida. It is a ½ credit course so students only have it for ½ the year. Students will be taught the basic foundation for the American system of government, the structure and role of the federal government, the structure and role of state & local governments and how the political process works. Each student is assigned a textbook in order to assist in “getting through” the large amount of material in 90 days. Students also work on their writing and thinking skills with a weekly current event activity.
Earn points by attending a government meeting.
You earn the points by;
- Maximum of three visits can be made - 15 points each
- Each visit must be to a different entity.
- You can only use the City, County & School Board.
- Turning in the documentation the day after attending the meeting.
- Turning in ONLY a single sheet of paper with NO attachments.
- Having a signature of a government official on the paper.
- Make sure if the signature is not readable that you print the name.
- Make sure if the person is not a member of the board to identify their position.
- Summarize what happened at the meeting.
- Give your opinion of HOW the meeting went.
- Include a comparison to the other visits on your 2nd and 3rd visit.
Gov Textbook Link
Pearson Prentice Hall
Use this link to see chapter summaries and take online tests.
To take an online test; click on the chapter you wish to review and then choose "Progress Monitoring Online".