Apalachee Tapestry LOVES our volunteers! If you want to volunteer, the first step is to complete the online application process through Leon County Schools. Click on the image below to be redirected to the online application. Once approved, our volunteer coordinator will contact you to determine your interests and how you are best able to support our Stars at Apalachee!Volunteer Application
2021 - 2022
Leon School Volunteer Program2757 West Pensacola Street, Tallahassee, FL 32304
Phone: (850) 487-7800 • FAX: (850) 487-7886
Become a Mentor Today!
A Leon County Schools Mentor can serve almost any age student from Kindergarten through Adult Education. After receiving training at the District Office or a school site, mentors work one-on-one with the same student for about one hour, once a week. Mentors can assist with academic assignments, check homework, help with test preparation, work on time management and goal-setting skills, check the student’s assignment list regularly, and tutor the student. If materials are required, they are provided by the teacher or the Mentor Coordinator at the school. Mentors also provide an additional caring adult for a student to look up to as a role model, and to be their friend.
QUESTIONS ABOUT MENTORING
What do you mean by mentoring?
One studentOne hour
Once a week
A trained volunteer makes the commitment to assist an identified student one-on-one, for about one hour, once a week, on our property, during the school day, through one semester.
What characteristics do I need to have to be a good mentor?
- Commitment … to come every week and see your assigned student
- Time … allocated in your schedule so you can keep your mentor appointments
- Patience … to wait for your student to improve
- Practice … be willing to practice academic skills with your student
- Encouragement … be willing to encourage you student when they need it
- Listen …
How do I get started?
- Check your schedule to be sure you will have the time to make this important commitment.
- Attend a training session at the Leon County School Board or your selected school.
NOTE: Training schedules are listed on the Mentor Program Website.
Most schools will match Mentors with students after Labor Day each year.
Volunteer / Mentor Coordinator
Ms. Selena McKinnieVolunteer Coordinator