My View Literacy
Florida’s B.E.S.T. Standards for ELA are built on the following premises:
To view the kindergarten ELA standards please see the links above.
- English Language Arts is not a discrete set of skills, but a rich discipline with meaningful, significant content, the knowledge of which helps all students actively and fully participate in our society.
- The standards are clear and concise, so they are easily understood by every stakeholder.
- The texts students read are meaningful and thought-provoking, preparing them to be informed, civic-minded members of their community.
- Standards should not stand alone as a separate focus for instruction, but should be combined purposefully.
In Kindergarten, instructional time will emphasize three areas using the B.E.S.T standards:
(1) Developing an understanding of counting to represent the total number of objects in a set and to order the objects within a set.
(2) Developing an understanding of addition and subtraction and the relationship of these operations to counting.
(3) Measuring, comparing and categorizing objects according to various attributes, including their two- and three-dimensional shapes.