The Killearn Lakes school day is 8:30-2:50, six hours and twenty minutes. In order to comply with the school board regulations, parents should make arrangements for dentist appointments and extra curricular activities after school. The office will be open from 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. The teacher work day is 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. The school will provide supervision from 7:45 a.m. to 3:20 p.m. each day.
The report card will reflect the number of excused and unexcused tardies and absences by a student. Florida Statutes and Leon District policies state that it is the responsibility of the student’s parents/guardian to notify the school when their child will not be in attendance. Notification must be in writing. Excessive absences (5 unexcused absences/tardies in a calendar month, or 10 unexcused absences/tardies in a semester) or failure to provide explanations may be reported to the district attendance officer. Excused absences will be granted for a family emergency, illness, or a medial appointment. Family vacations or trips are not considered an excused absence.
Print a Pre-Arranged Absence Form here:
Print a Request to Excuse an Absence Form here:
Print a Religious Holiday Exemption Request Form here:
Late Arrival / Tardy
Students arriving after the 8:30 am tardy bell must be escorted to the office by their parent / guardian where they will sign-in and receive a late pass to class. Elementary students who are chronically late or leave early without an acceptable excuse (5 unexcused absences/tardies in a nine week grading period or 10 unexcused absences/tardies in a semester) are in violation of the school board attendance policy and will receive written notification from the school.
Leaving School Early
Students should never leave campus without notifying the office. Students should be signed out by an authorized adult in the front office. The office will then call into the classroom and have the child(ren) sent to the front office. We will NOT call a child out of a room until they have been signed out by a parent/guardian or a designee on the emergency contact list. Under no circumstance should a parent remove a child from a classroom before coming through the office.
Arrival and Departure Procedures
The safety of our children is our first concern. Therefore, we expect all parents and students to abide by the following rules:
1. Students riding in cars load and unload in the back of the school via the side road. Parents should never leave cars unattended or park in this area.
2. Bus and van riders load and unload in the front of the school.
3. Parents wishing to walk their child into the building, should park in the visitor parking lot located in the front of the school.
4. Students being dismissed are expected to be in their assigned area or supervised in the afternoon Extended Day Program. Students will not wait on the street or front lawn area of the school.
5. Parents, brothers or sisters should not go to classrooms to pick up students early. Students will be picked up at their assigned departure areas.
6. Students should be picked up promptly when the bell rings.
7. Parents should establish a regular routine for the afternoon dismissal. Children can become confused and upset when they do not know what to do in the afternoon.
8. ANY changes in the afternoon routine MUST be given to the classroom teacher in writing.
9. Emergency or last minute schedule changes may be called into the school office before 2:20pm. No messages for dismissal changes will be taken after 2:20pm.