Zelena O'Banner, Principal
School colors: Blue and White
A Brief History of Griffin Middle School
Griffin Middle School was founded as a private boarding institution owned by the Primitive Baptist Church of Florida. It was originally named Griffin Normal and Industrial Institute in honor of the Reverend Henry Griffin who served as pastor of the Primitive Baptist Church in the State of Florida.
The facility was initially constructed in 1920, destroyed by fire in 1926 with a second and third building erected later that same year.
The Leon County Board of Public Instruction assumed partial responsibility for the school in 1934. The school offered courses in grades 1 through 12 until 1955. The construction of the present plant began in 1954 and was completed and occupied in 1955 under the full responsibility of Leon County Schools. Beginning with the 1955-56 school year, the school changed to course offerings in grades 1 through 8. . The ninth grade was added to the school for the 1962-63 school year, removed for the 1963-64 school year, and subsequently assigned to the school again beginning with the 1966-67 school year. During the next three school years, 1967-1970, Griffin was a senior high school with grades 10 through 12. Beginning in 1970, Griffin became a middle school with grades 6 through 8. The school is rich in tradition and is committed to success for all students.
Currently, Griffin is home to three viable magnet programs: Pre-Advanced Placement and Pre-Information Technology Program.