The Roberts family, which is four generations strong, has owned and operated a large cattle farm near what is now Roberts Road since around 1830. In the late 1800's, Thomas Jefferson Roberts donated a one-acre plot and building materials to the Leon County Board of Public Instruction for a school for the black children in the area. That donation led to the Roberts School being built in 1897. This school continued to educate black children in the area until the 1950's, when it was closed.
The new Roberts Elementary School, which opened in August of 2001, is located less than a mile from where the old one sat for more than half a century.