I am looking forward to the coming year! Please help your child keep up the fourth grade skills they learned this year. Here are a few suggestions for you to do this summer:
1. Cook together; reading recipes and measuring are important skills!
2. Assign daily household chores to promote responsibility
3. Promote an hour a day of reading by keeping magazines, newspapers, and books around the house; take a trip to the local public library
4. Have your child make up a few math story problems, or purchase a grade 5 math book with story problems included.
- Ask your child to make up problems that include a measurement problem (length, area, volume, etc.); a fraction problem (use sharing a pizza or cake as an example); a decimal problem (adding 5.3 and 4.2, for example); and a division problem.
5. Let your child access my math links for games to prepare for the coming year
Here is a preview of math concepts taught in fifth grade, by chapter:
1. Place Value, Multiplication, and Expressions
2. Divide Whole Numbers
3. Add and Subtract Decimals
4. Multiply Decimals
5. Divide Decimals
6. Add and Subtract Fractions with Like and Unlike Denominators
7. Multiply Fractions
8. Divide Fractions
9. Algebra: Patterns and Graphing
10. Convert Units of Measure
11. Geometry and Volume
Students will understand the math concepts much easier if they are fluent with the multiplication and division facts. Keep practicing!
Have a great, fun and safe summer!
I will see you in August!