Distance Learning and Academic Support
Your teachers are working hard to ensure they continue instructing you during these times. Distance learning is a new thing for all of us. Below are some resources to help make it a little easier.
For specific information on instructional support for distance learning at SAIL please visit https://www.leonschools.net/domain/8116
- Khan Academy: an online platform to get help with (almost) any subject.
- BrainPop: a platform with interactive practice for subjects including Math, English, Art, Etc.
Having a routine can help!
Create a daily schedule to help you stay focused! below is an example schedule. This may be a useful guide to help you and your family create a schedule that works for you. Below are some fillable templates you can use to create your own schedule that you can display.
Mental Health and Coping During Covid-19.
It's okay to not be okay! these are interesting times and there are resources available if you aren't feeling your best right now. If you need to talk to someone about how things are going you can schedule virtual appointments with Rose and Justin.
District Mental Health Resources: Leon County School list of mental health providers during COVID-19.
Sometimes you just need a second to check in with yourself. Try some of the activities below.
- Mandala Project
- Mental Grounding Techniques for Anxiety
- Mindful Breathing for Anxiety
- Try the Active Coping Calendar
A word from Amanda Moulton, SAIL Program Specialist for Behavior
Struggling to come up with ways to fill all of this newfound free time? You're not the only one. Check out some of the ideas below!
Livestreams and Virtual Tours
- Visit your favorite animals via live cam including puppies playing, an entire aquarium, or animals on a farm.
- Ever wanted to visit the Louvre Museum in Paris? Wondered what the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam had to offer? Take a virtual tour of famous museums and galleries around the world!
- Take a Virtual Tour of Yosemite National Park.
- Make a virtual visit to Walt Disney World!
- Thinking about college? Take a Virtual Tour of over 600 through YouVisit
- Learn a new language for free using an app like Duolingo!
- Want to learn how to develop a video game? Learn how to code for free.
- Create a vision board to help you map out your goals.
- Learn something new at the National Mag Lab here in Tallahassee.
- Grab a book, movie, or something else from the Leon County Library Virtually. You can also sign up for a library online!
Have a cool activity or resource you've found to stay busy? Let Justin know and it might be added!
Additional Community Resources can be found on the Leon County COVID-19 Information Portal.
- Interactive Map of Leon County food distribution sites for children and their families. Includes school sites and local restaurants. Word Document version
- Interactive Map of Tallahassee area business open for Takeout.
- Pet Food Pantry through Leon County Humane Society.
- Call 2-1-1 or 321-632-6688 for other food resources available in the county.
- CDC site for COVID-19: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/index.html
- 2-1-1 Big Bend is a hotline that can connect families with health resources locally. Big Bend 211 mental health and coping list
WE ARE IN THIS TOGETHER
Last updated 4/8/2020
I hope that the following information helps you navigate our (temporary) new normal. You are not in this alone. Everyone, young and old, is trying to figure out how to make sense of this interesting time. There is no “wrong” way to cope with the emotions you may be feeling right now but there are methods that are healthier for us and some that aren’t so healthy. You may feel scared, sad, or a range of other emotions and that’s okay. We are all in this together and can/will support each other through this. if you have questions, concerns, or just need someone to talk to email me or make a virtual appointment and I will get back to you within 24 hours. Dear SAIL Family,